19 July 2008

The Avro Vulcan finds a new fan at Farnborough

The 2008 Farnborough International Airshow is just finishing up with its usual displays of spectacular flying. One piece of writing about the Show caused me some amusement - a post by Flight International journalist Kieran Daly on his weblog Unusual Attitude:

"When I wrote on 18 August 2006 that 'I've got my own doubts about how much money can be justified to keep large jets flying' I may have inadvertently given the impression that I had doubts about how much money could be justified to keep large jets flying.

"Having spent a gloriously unproductive ten minutes at Farnborough this afternoon watching an Avro Vulcan fly ... I would like to assure readers that I think the amount of money appropriate for keeping Vulcans flying is, basically, whatever it takes.

I apologise for any confusion that may have been caused."

The ex RAF Avro Vulcan concerned is XH558 restored by the Vulcan to the Sky Trust. Video clips of the aircraft's flying displays are available on YouTube.

For the story of RAF Vulcans in action over the Falkland Islands I thoroughly recommend reading the book "Vulcan 607" by Rowland White.

I confess to mixed feelings about old aircraft being restored to fly. All too often they crash with tragic consequences. I was fortunate enough to attend the Farnborough Air Show in 1986.

No comments: